hodgesons logo


Engineers & Contractors

Telephone : 01772 682052

Email : admin@hodgsonelectrical.co.uk

chas constructionline niceic

Trade Associations

Contact Us

Contact us today to discuss your requirements for domestic or commercial electrical contracting design, installations and maintenance services with our experienced team.

Telephone: 01772 682052 Email: admin@hodgsonelectrical.co.uk

Co Registration No: 658820.

niceic logo-chas logo-constructionline


There are many different reasons for commissioning an Electrical Report and it is advisable to speak to a qualified electrician so you can decide what type of report you need. The most common one is for a home buyer.


Why would I need a Home Buyer Electrical Report?


It is advisable to check the electrical installations are safe for you and your family before you move in. If you plan to buy a house that is less than 10 years old and has no extensions or very little DIY  the electrics are likely to be OK and an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) may be sufficient. If the house has been lived in by someone who is keen on DIY, where there have been renovations, extensions, home improvements and the property is more than 10 years old it is advisable for the electrics to be fully inspected. A qualified electrician will identify any electrical deficiencies and tell you what repairs need to be done straight away and which are less urgent.  You can then discuss any cost implications with the electrician.


What about rented properties?


If you are a landlord then you must have the electrics in your property inspected by a qualified electrician to ensure they are suitable. The inspection should be done every 5 years though the electrician may advise a re-inspection sooner. However the inspection has to be done for each new tenancy in case the previous tenant caused any damage to the wiring.


What is a qualified electrician?


It is important that electrical installation work is carried out only by those who have the correct skills and experience.  Any electrical work undertaken must follow certain rules, these rules are called Part P of building regulations. Electricity can be dangerous – Part P qualified electricians have the knowledge to avoid dangers to themselves and to others.  It is strongly recommended that you use an Electrician who is also registered with one of the government-approved schemes to carry out any electric installation work that you need doing. Their work conforms to the UK national standard, BS 7671 - Requirements for Electrical Installations.


For any of the following checks please call Hodgson Electrical, fully qualified in all of the above.